Thursday, December 29, 2011

Best week of my life thus far...

Jett Spencer Ward
December 23, 2011
6 lbs 14 oz / 20 inches


Words can't express Spencer and my feelings over the past week. We've been SO blessed!
Jett is the light of our lives already, the reason to get up in the morning, and the reason to count our blessings at night. He's so precious.

Thanks to all the family and friends who've expressed their love and congratulations to us. We've had lots of visitors - there's no doubt that this baby is loved!


The story:

There were several factors that influenced our decision to induce a week earlier than my due date: my doctor would be here to deliver, insurance coverage, deductible met... exc. I worked my last day at Idaho Central Tuesday, December 20th. We went in that night to be induced. Our bags were packed and we were ready to have a baby the next day :) They used a pill called Cytotec, checked on me periodically throughout the night while monitoring my contractions and baby's heartbeat. The doctor came in in the morning and tried to break my water... it just wasn't meant to be yet. My cervix hadn't budged from a 1 1/2 and it was too small to break my water and further my progress. Dr Carlson gave us some options, one being that we could try again, using a different and more expensive drug, Cervadell. So, after taking a little break, spending the day with Spencer, going to walk laps in the mall, and having a spicy Panda express lunch, we went back to the hospital. It was another night on the monitors and another uncomfortable night on a pull out bed for Spencer. At 4:30 in the morning, they took out the Cervadell only to discover that there was still no progress. The doctor came in again, talked to us about what we could do. Maybe I was one of those women who just didn't dilate... we could schedule a c-section that day... we could wait and see what happens, potentially just running into the same situation and having to c-section anyway, without my doctor (who is the best by the way). We left the hospital discouraged but happy with our decision. We were going to wait and see if I progressed, and scheduled another cytotec run with Dr. Jones on Monday. We were happy with the decision, figuring we didn't want to rush into it if it just wasn't meant to be right now and we'd give it one more shot - not wanting to just give in.

So we went home...again, Spencer ran some errands, came home, and I let him know the little bit of encouraging progress I'd had while he was gone. (MP if you're interested). He called his friend Jennifer Beck and scheduled a massage for me. We went to Aberdeen, all the while having small contractions (I'd rate these ones at a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale, not super uncomfortable). The massage was lovely! Jennifer said that there are certain pressure points that masseuses can focus on to help labor progress. The rest of our day was spent visiting with family and going to bed early. That was short-lived however, as I started waking up every 10 minutes with contractions. For a couple of hours I debated whether to call labor and delivery, and it wasn't until midnight that I woke Spencer and told him I was going to call the hospital to see if we could come in and get checked out. I rated my contractions at about a 6 at this point, super uncomfortable, not quite painful at this point.

We got to the hospital just after 12:30 am. The nurse (Wendy, who was amazing through my labor) and resident doctor checked my cervix: I was dilated to a 2, 100% effaced and my cervix was no longer posterior as it had been.

The doctor broke my water around 1:00 am. (Weird feeling) I was already hooked up to an IV, and the nurse soon started me on Pitocin and a Penicillin (I was possitive for Strep B) drip.

At around 3:30 am I got an epidural. I was seriously watching the clock the entire time after having my water broke and asked the nurse and resident multiple times where the anesthesiologist was! I don't do well with pain: I threw up several times, seriously considered never having more children, and questioned why in the world I didn't just go for the c-section! I was checked at this point and was dilated to a "7 or 8".

Once the epidural kicked in, it wasn't long until I was dialated to a 9 and they started having me push with each contraction. No pressure at first - not knowing if I was even doing it right. As they got more intense and frequent, Wendy was so encouraging and said things like "good push" and "best push yet". My sweet husband was there, apprehensive and overwhelmed, but super supportive and there by my side. I had my mom and sister there as well, and I was happy they could be witnesses to Jett's birth. I think Courtney was first to exclaim "blond hair!".

Jett was born at 5:22 am, 6 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches long. Spencer cut the cord and the doctors placed him on my chest. He was white from all the vernix (which I account for his beautiful completion now). They got him washed off and made sure he was breathing normally before Spencer was able to hold him and bring him back to his mom. He was so bright eyed! Pam (Nanny) and Sarah came in at this point too and everyone gawked at how cute he was, looking around and already content in my arms :)

Highlights from the rest of our hospital stay included:
  • Nursing - he latched right away and I love being the one to provide him with comfort and nourishment
  • Aunt SueAnn's helping Spencer give Jett his first bath and watching over him while working her shift
  • Family and friends visiting
  • Circumcision - Thanks to Dr. Fulks, this truely was a highlight. Spencer and I are both curious and wanted to be there for the little guy in his first surgery
  • Getting discharged on Christmas Eve to spend our favorite Christmas yet with a beautiful baby boy

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! He is the sweetest! What a wonderful Christmas present! :)

    ReplyDelete